Battlefield Landmark historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Battlefield Landmark historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Clayton County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Clayton County, 33.5419008, -84.3576542
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: W. side of U.S. 41 between Robert E. Lee Parkway & Dixon Rd.
Text of marker: "BATTLEFIELD LANDMARK. One of the few natural landmarks of the battle fought here Aug. 31, 1864, is the deep gully S. of marker -- the bed of a small stream flowing W. to Flint River. N. of, & parallel to it, was the refused line of Harrow's div. of the 15th, prolonged by Rice's brigade (Corse's div.), 16th A.C. (USA) facing S. & extending W. to the river. Cleburne's, Maney's & Bate's divs., Hardee's A.C. (CSA) attacked the refused line from south of the gully, only to find it a fatal obstacle to a concerted assault on the intrenched lines & artillery of Harrow & Rice. Hardee's attack was the signal for advance of S.D. Lee's A.C. on the 15th corps front facing Jonesboro. 031-27 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_battlefield-landmark
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_battlefield-landmark
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations