Battle of Lay's Ferry historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Battle of Lay's Ferry historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Gordon County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Gordon County, 34.503359, -84.8757529
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Herrington Bend Rd. at Hunt Rd. off Ga. 156 at New Zion Church
Text of marker: "BATTLE OF LAY'S FERRY. May 14, 1864. A contingent from Sweeny's (2d) div., 16th A.C. [USA] made a crossing here in pontoon boats, but on a rumor of Confederate crossings upstream, it withdrew. May 15. The division, supported by Welker's Artillery [USA], crossed in force & deployed to meet the immediate attack by Maj. Gen. W.H.T. Walker's div., Hardee's A.C. [CSA], in the area between the George W. Frix house & the Oostanaula River. This Federal move on the Confederate left & rear forced Johnston [CSA] to evacuate his lines at Resaca. 064-19 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_battle-of-lays-ferry
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_battle-of-lays-ferry
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations