Augustus Hurt Plantation historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Augustus Hurt Plantation historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Fulton County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located in the parking lot of the Carter Presidential Center in Atlanta
Text of marker: "AUGUSTUS HURT PLANTATION. The outer Confederate defense line of Atlanta, located on E. slope of this hill, July 18, was evacuated the night of the 21st, 1864. July 22. The Federal 23d A. C., under Schofield marching from the N. E. via Williams Mill Rd. intrenched a line W. & S. of Augustus Hurt's house, where it supported the rt. wing of the Army of the Tenn. in the Battle of Atlanta. July 26. With the shift of that army to the W. side of Atlanta, the 23d A. C. became the extreme right S. W. of the city. The 4th A. C., its left resting at the Augustus Hurt house, became the left of the line until Aug. 25. 060-80 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_augustus-hurt-plantation
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_augustus-hurt-plantation
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations