Augusta State University historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Augusta State University historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Richmond County
Universities and colleges--Georgia--Augusta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Richmond County, Augusta, 33.47097, -81.97484
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: University Hall lawn, Augusta StateUniversity, Augusta
Text of marker: "Augusta State University. Augusta State University traces its roots to 1783 when its parent institution, the Academy of Richmond County, was chartered. Offering college-level classes to prepare students for admission into universities as sophomores or juniors, the Academy performed the role of today's community college. A fifth year of high school, added in 1909, and a sixth year in 1925, were chartered as the Junior College of Augusta. The Junior College and Academy shared space until 1957 when the College moved to this location. The following year its name was changed to Augusta College when it joined the University System of Georgia. In 1996, it became Augusta State University. 2004.6 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Augusta State University Foundation 121-8"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_augusta-state-university
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_augusta-state-university
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations