Ashantilly historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Ashantilly historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--McIntosh County
Historic buildings--Georgia--McIntosh County
Location:
United States, Georgia, McIntosh County, Darien, 31.3702255, -81.4339903
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Ridge Road (State Road 99), south of Shantilly Road, north of St. Andrews Cemetery Rd., Darien
Text of marker: "Ashantilly. Built ca. 1820, Ashantilly was the mainland residence of prominent antebellum planter Thomas Spalding (1774-1851), owner of the nearby Sapelo Island plantation. The house, likely built by Spalding's slaves, was constructed of tabby, an equal mix of oyster shell, sand, water and lime. Ashantilly was named for Spalding's ancestral home in County Perth, Scotland. He died at Ashantilly and is interred in the family burial ground adjacent to the property. William G. Haynes, Jr. (1908-2001), proprietor of the Ashantilly Press, was the last private owner of Ashantilly. In 1993 the Haynes family donated the property to the Ashantilly Center, Inc. 2009.03 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and The Lower Altamaha Historical Society 95-05"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_ashantilly
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_ashantilly
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations