Antioch Institute historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Antioch Institute historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Stewart County
Church schools--Georgia--Louvale
Location:
United States, Georgia, Stewart County, Louvale, 32.1751531, -84.8252025
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: At Louvale on U.S. 27
Text of marker: "ANTIOCH INSTITUTE. Built in the 1850's, the school was operated by the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church until it was sold to Stewart County in 1895. The building is believed to have been used for church services until the handsome building to the south was erected for that purpose about 1885. The county operated the Louvale High School here until 1928 when the upper grades were transferred to Lumpkin. The elementary school remained until 1942. The school is now used as the Louvale Community House which serves as the home for the Sybil and John B. Richardson School of Sacred Harp Singing. Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church 1986"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_antioch-institute
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_antioch-institute
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations