Andrew College historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Andrew College historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Randolph County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Randolph County, Cuthbert, 31.7712748, -84.7893658
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: U.S. 82W in Cuthbert at the campus opposite Andrew Street
Text of marker: "ANDREW COLLEGE. Cuthbert is the Site of Andrew College, founded here January 1854. named in honor of Bishop James O. Andrew whose refusal to free his Wife's slaves separated the Northern and Southern Methodist Episcopal Churches (1844). First President - Augustus Alden, of Yale, a pioneer in Georgia for higher education. The second college chartered to confer graduate degrees upon women. Served as a Confederate Hospital 1863-65. The first women's college in the South to include Physical Education in its curriculum (1867). Today, a fully accredited Junior College, it has upheld throughout a century the highest principles of educated, Christian womanhood. GHM 120-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_andrew-college
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_andrew-college
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations