Andersonville (Side 1) historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Andersonville (Side 1) historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Sumter County
Cities and towns--Georgia--Andersonville
Location:
United States, Georgia, Sumter County, Andersonville, 32.1959947, -84.1399085
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Front of Depot Museum and Welcome Center in Andersonville
Text of marker: "ANDERSONVILLE. The city of Andersonville was incorporated in 1853 as the village center of a small farming community. It came to national attention when Camp Sumter Prison opened here in 1864 and especially when its commandant, Capt. Henry Wirz, was tried for alleged crimes against humanity in 1865. Today, the community proclaims itself a "Civil War Village" and honors both the memory of Union soldiers who suffered here and Confederate soldiers who did their duty while experiencing illness and death in numbers comparable to their unfortunate prisoners.(Continued on other side)THIS MARKER IS ERECTED BY THE ANDERSONVILLE GUILD WHICH IS DEDICATED TO THE RESOTRATION OF THIS CITY 1994"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_andersonville-side-1
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_andersonville-side-1
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations