Amsterdam, Georgia historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Amsterdam, Georgia historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Decatur County
Plantations--Georgia--Amsterdam
Location:
United States, Georgia, Decatur County, Amsterdam, 30.7274156, -84.4357421
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: U.S. 27 median at Amsterdam, SE of Bainbridge
Text of marker: "AMSTERDAM, GEORGIA. In 1891, A. Cohn & Co. purchased 14,000 acres for tobacco cultivation and named it Amsterdam. At that time, the property was the largest tobacco plantation in the world under one ownership. In 1907, seven of the larger growers and packers in the area merged to form the American Sumatra Tobacco Co., with a division in Amsterdam. This was a company town with offices, railroad, commissaries, post office, packing houses and employee houses. At its peak, the town boasted a population of 450. The Imperial Tobacco Co. bought the A. S. T. Co. in 1955 and operated it until 1965 when they discontinued growing tobacco. In 1967 the land was sold to the Coastal Lumber Company."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_amsterdam-georgia
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_amsterdam-georgia
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations