America's First Garden Club historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
America's First Garden Club historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Clarke County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Clarke County, Athens, 33.96095, -83.37794
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Front Lawn of Young Harris Methodist Church, 973 Prince Ave., Athens
Text of marker: "AMERICA'S FIRST GARDEN CLUB. In 1891 at this site, the Ladies Garden Club was founded by twelve Athens ladies in the home of Mrs. E.K. Lumpkin. Mrs. Lamar Cobb was the first president. Beginning as a small neighborhood group, the club extended membership to all Athens ladies interested in gardening in 1892. In the spring of 1892 the group presented its first flower and vegetable exhibition. By 1894 a set of standards, similar to those of today, had been drawn up to make the shows as professional as possible. In 1936 the National Council of State Garden Clubs recognized the Ladies Garden Club as America's first garden club. 029-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1968"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_americas-first-garden-club
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_americas-first-garden-club
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations