Alpharetta First United Methodist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Alpharetta First United Methodist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Fulton County
Church buildings--Georgia--Alpharetta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Alpharetta, 34.0753762, -84.2940899
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 69 N. Main Street, Alpharetta
Text of marker: "ALPHARETTA FIRST UNITED METHODICT CHURCH circa 1834. The Methodist Church was part of the Forsyth Circuit of the Cherokee District. Methodist camp meetings were held near this spot in the early 1830s, and there was a meeting house as early as 1834. On April 1, 1871, Isham Teasley, one of the original Milton County Inferior Court Justices, donated land on which the brick chapel now stands. At that time, there was already a church building on the property. This building may have been the white frame church, known to have stood on this site until 1931 which was replaced with the current brick chapel. The church parsonage lot, purchased in 1882, was across North Main Street just south of the chapel."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_alpharetta-first-united-methodist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_alpharetta-first-united-methodist-church
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations