Albany's First Brick House historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Albany's First Brick House historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1958
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Dougherty County
Historic buildings--Georgia--Albany
Location:
United States, Georgia, Dougherty County, Albany, 31.57851, -84.15574
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 516 Flint Street, Albany
Text of marker: "ALBANY'S FIRST BRICK HOUSE. Built of brick hauled from Macon by wagon, this house was completed in 1860 by Congressman William E. (Tete) Smith for his bride, Caroline Williams Smith. The Interior trim and mahogany stair rail came from New York; the furnishings were imported from England. Flower beds were laid out in Masonic designs with statues of Minerva and Flora prominently displayed. Captain of the Albany Guards of the 4th Ga. Regt., Smith lost a leg in the Battle of King's Schoolhouse, Virginia. Member of the Confederate Congress and, later, of the U. S. Congress, he was an able lawyer and a beloved citizen of Albany. 047-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_albanys-first-brick-house
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_albanys-first-brick-house
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations