Advanced Education Center historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Advanced Education Center historical marker
Creator:
Massar, Todd Massar
Date of Original:
2009
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Morgan County
Women--Education--Georgia--Madison
Location:
United States, Georgia, Morgan County, Madison, 33.59568, -83.46794
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 472 S. Main St., Madison
Text of marker: "ADVANCED EDUCATION CENTER. Religious denominations organized Georgia's first colleges for women. Madison flourished as an educational center following the 1850 incorporation of both the Georgia Female College (Baptist), initally chartered as Madison Collegiate Institute, and the Madison Female College (Methodist). The Georgia Female College opened for its Spring Session with 148 pupils in this building, which became the President's House after John B. Walker funded a three-story brick building to the right (burned 1882). The Madison Female College was also located in town but was also lost to fire in 1864. A diverse curriculum attracted young women from as far as Philadelphia. Citizens supported the institutions with funding and provision of room and board. Both schools thrived until the outbreak of the Civil War, when the facilities were used as temporary hospitals. Post-war, private education never regained its former stature. CITY OF MADISON MADISON BICENTENNIAL COMMISSION 1809-2009 A PRESERVE AMERICA COMMUNITY"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_advanced-education-center
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_advanced-education-center
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations