Adel Lime Sink historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Adel Lime Sink historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1955
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Cook County
Baptisteries--Georgia--Adel
Location:
United States, Georgia, Cook County, Adel, 31.1371358, -83.4234936
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: East Fourth St. and South Gordon Ave. (Ga. 76 & Ga. 37), Adel
Text of marker: "ADEL LIME SINK. The origin of both this lake and its name are a mystery as the source of the water is unknown and analysis has shown no lime in the soil. The lake which reputedly "has no bottom" formerly served as baptismal pool for the adjacent Salem Primitive Baptist Church built in 1859. The church organized in that year was given the lake and three acres of land by David G. Hutchinson. The area has been restored to its natural beauty by the Adel Womans Club. During the early history of Adel this site served as a social center for the entire community and many generations of children have fished from the lake's banks. 037-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_adel-lime-sink
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_adel-lime-sink
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations