Academy of Medicine historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Academy of Medicine historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
2002
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Fulton County
Regional medical programs--Georgia--Atlanta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 875 W. Peachtree St. N.W. in Atlanta
Text of marker: "Academy of Medicine. Thirteen Atlanta physicians organized the Brotherhood of Physicians in 1854. After many location and name changes, the Brotherhood evolved into the Fulton County Medical Society, which dedicated the Academy of Medicine as its headquarters here on December 15, 1941. Medical Society members played a major role in health care for all Georgians, including advances in the treatment of pellagra, hookworm, tuberculosis, and venereal disease. Designed by Philip T. Shutze and R. Kennon Perry, the Academy of Medicine is an outstanding example of Neoclassical architecture. The Medical Association of Atlanta directed restoration in 1983 and deeded the Academy to the Atlanta Medical Heritage to preserve it as a historic building. 2002.11 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, The Medical Association of Atlanta, and Atlanta Medical Heritage, Inc. 60-3"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_academy-of-medicine
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_academy-of-medicine
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations