4th A.C. at Durand's Mill historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
4th A.C. at Durand's Mill historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1967
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--DeKalb County
Location:
United States, Georgia, DeKalb County, 33.77153, -84.22641
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Briarcliff Rd. at Old Briarcliff Rd.
Text of marker: "4TH A.C. AT DURAND'S MILL. July 19, 1864. In deployment of Federal forces approaching Atlanta, it became necessary to fill a gap between those on Peachtree Rd. at the creek & Schofield's 23d A.C. on Pea Vine Cr. at the Paden plantation (Emory University). Sherman directed Thomas to send 2 of Howard's 4th A.C. divs. to fill the gap. Howard, in person with Stanley's (1st) & Wood's (3d), marched from Buckhead, via Peachtree Baptist Church to S. Fork Peachtree Creek, reaching Durand's Mill July 20, 8:30 A.M. The bridge had been burned by Confederate infantry. Howard's skirmishers waded across while the bridge was being rebuilt. 044-28 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1967"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_4th-ac
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_4th-ac
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations