1836 Methodists at Darien historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1836 Methodists at Darien historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1992
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--McIntosh County
Church buildings--Georgia--Darien
Location:
United States, Georgia, McIntosh County, Darien, 31.3702255, -81.4339903
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Darien United Methodist Church, Vernon Square, Darien
Text of marker: "1836 METHODISTS AT DARIEN. John Wesley, founder of Methodism, spent January 2 & 3, 1737, among the Scots in Darien, where he first prayed extempore. In 1836 after many efforts, circuit riders aided by layman F.R. Shackelford organized a Society. On November 29, 1841, the cornerstone was laid for Darien Methodist Church on Vernon Square. This church, set afire twice by Federal troops in 1863, did not burn and became the rallying site for the rebuilding of Darien. Destroyed in 1881 by a hurricane, it was replaced in 1883 by the present sanctuary. The Women's Society, begun in 1878, raised funds for rebuilding. [NO. 17 SOUTH GEORGIA CONFERENCE, THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 1992]"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1836-methodists-at-darien
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1836-methodists-at-darien
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations