1814 Boundary historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1814 Boundary historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Contributor to Resource:
Historic Chattahoochee Commission
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Clay County
Creek Indians--Georgia
Location:
United States, Georgia, Clay County, Fort Gaines, 31.6090569, -85.0471505
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Ga. 39 north of Fort Gaines, Ga. at East Bank Area, Lake Walter George
Text of marker: "1814 BOUNDARY. The boundary line defined in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (August 1814) between the confederated Creek tribes and the United States extended eastward from the mouth of Cemochechobee Creek south of here to a point near Jesup, Georgia. Signed by General Andrew Jackson for the U.S. and Tustennugge Hopoie (Little Prince) for the Creeks, the treaty ceded about 23 million acres of land and was intended to separate hostile Indians from British forces in Florida during the War of 1812. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE FORT GAINES HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1939 [This marker is side 2 of the Founding of Fort Gaines Historical Marker]"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1814-boundary
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1814-boundary
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations