1812 Wesley Chapel historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1812 Wesley Chapel historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1977
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Chatham County
Church buildings--Georgia--Savannah
Location:
United States, Georgia, Chatham County, Savannah, 32.08354, -81.09983
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Oglethorpe Ave. and Lincoln St., Savannah
Text of marker: "1812 WESLEY CHAPEL. Savannah Methodism's first church building was erected on this corner of Lincoln and South Broad (now Oglethorpe) streets in 1812 by its first pastor, Rev. James Russell. Bishop Francis Asbury preached twice in Wesley Chapel on November 21, 1813. In 1819-20 under the preaching of William Capers the membership grew rapidly, and in 1821 John Howard enlarged the building to care for 100 new members. By 1848 this "good, neat house, sixty by forty feet", became too small; at a new location its successor, Trinity, was built. Among the early pastors of Wesley Chapel were James O. Andrew, George F. Pierce, Ignatius A. Few, and Thomas L. Wynn. SAVANNAH AREA METHODIST HERITAGE SOCIETY - 1977 SOUTH GEORGIA CONFERENCE COMMISSION ON ARCHIVES AND HISTORY"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1812-wesley-chapel
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1812-wesley-chapel
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations