1807 Methodism at Spring Hill historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1807 Methodism at Spring Hill historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1991
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Telfair County
Church buildings--Georgia--Spring Hill
Location:
United States, Georgia, Telfair County, 31.929801, -82.9389875
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Wheeler County Road 134 just west of Wheeler County Road 174, Spring Hill
Text of marker: "1807 METHODISM AT SPRING HILL. Spring Hill, settled in 1807, was a preaching place on the Ohoopee Circuit by 1814. In 1850 John Carmichael gave land for a campground. A tabernacle replaced the brush arbors about the church. Campmeetings continued seven decades. Clements Institute evolved from pre-Civil War schools and in 1871 became the First Methodist District High School. C.C. Hines and W. A. Huckabee led in founding South Georgia College at McRae in 1891. From 1879, J.D. Anthony, "Bishop of the Wiregrass", made this his home. Here Bascom Anthony entered the ministry. In 1991, the church worships in its 1879 frame building with a fellowship hall in the school. No. 16 South Georgia Conference United Methodist Church 1991"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1807-methodism-at-spring-hill
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1807-methodism-at-spring-hill
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations