1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1976
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Glynn County
Church buildings--Georgia--Glynn County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Glynn County, 31.2132418, -81.4936976
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: US 82 at Ratcliff Rd., 2 miles west of US 17
Text of marker: "1800 EMANUEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. Begun in year 1800 as New Hope Methodist Church on Laurel Grove Plantation 2 miles S. present site. 1833 original building moved to this site and name changed to Emanuel. Hand hewn pillars and wooden pegs are visible. 1799 George Clark, sent by Bishop Asbury to St. Mary's, started Methodist Societies in Glynn Co. 1829 Quarterly Conf. for St. Mary's and St. Illa Ct. held here. Wm. Gassoway- pastor; James Helveston- class leader. 1841 St. Illa Ct. (Satilla) became the Brunswick Ct. with Emanuel as one of 11 preaching points. Since 1799 Emanuel has been in continuous service. SOUTH GEORGIA CONFERENCE COMMISSION ON ARCHIVES AND HISTORY 1976"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1800-emanuel-united-methodist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1800-emanuel-united-methodist-church
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations