1790 Union Meeting House historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1790 Union Meeting House historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1990
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Bulloch County
Church buildings--Georgia--Statesboro
Location:
United States, Georgia, Bulloch County, Statesboro, 32.44879, -81.78317
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Old River Road N, west of US 301, Statesboro
Text of marker: "1790 UNION MEETING HOUSE. In 1790, John Crawford and Phillip Mathews, Burke Circuit preachers, organized a Methodist Society in the home of Joshua Hodges, Sr. In 1791, Union Meeting House became a frequent entry in Circuit records. In 1794, Union Trustees obtained from Screven Land Court a warrant for 100 acres, granted by State in 1824 to Nathaniel Hodges. In 1880, Union, New Hope and Eureka provided an early rural parsonage. By 1890, Union had helped found eight other churches. In 1990, Union United Methodist Church built a fellowship hall beside the 1884 frame church beginning the third century of continuous service. No 14 South Georgia Conference United Methodist Church 1990"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1790-union-meeting-house
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1790-union-meeting-house
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations