1790 Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1790 Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1990
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Effingham County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Effingham County, 32.36731, -81.3413398
United States, Georgia, Effingham County, Springfield, 32.37241, -81.3115
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Ga. 21 at the south edge of Springfield
Text of marker: "1790 EFFINGHAM COUNTY METHODIST CAMP GROUND. Effingham Camp Meeting has the longest record of continuous service in South Georgia-from 1790 according to oral tradition. The first camp ground was off Sisters' Ferry Road on land of George Powledge, later sold to Gideon Mallette. In 1864 this site was burned during Sherman's March to the Sea. In 1865 and 1866 encampment was held at Turkey Branch Methodist Church. In 1867, the camp ground was rebuilt on the Edward Bird tract at Springfield. In 1907, the present site was occupied after an exchange with G.M. Brinson. August encampment includes the third Sunday. No. 15 South Georgia Conference Methodist Church 1990"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1790-effingham-county-methodist-camp-ground
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1790-effingham-county-methodist-camp-ground
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations