- Community Art in Atlanta, 1977-1987: Jim Alexander's Photographs of the Neighborhood Arts Center from the Auburn Avenue Research Library
- After the fire
- Alexander, Jim
- Date of Original:
- Community arts projects--Georgia--Atlanta
African American art--20th century--Georgia--Atlanta
Mural painting and decoration--20th century--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhood Arts Center (Atlanta, Ga.)--Fires and fire prevention--Georgia--Atlanta
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Mechanicsville, 33.739, -84.39854
- color photographs
- "Remnants of the Peter James Bryant School building, former home of the Neighborhood Arts Center."--Jim Alexander's annotations.
The ruins of the abandoned former Neighborhood Arts Center and former Peter James Bryant Elementary School, located at 252 Georgia Avenue SW in Atlanta, which almost burned to its foundations on June 25, 1986. Police suspected the fire was a work of arson and associated it with the burning of another abandoned school a few days later. The Neighborhood Arts Center had recently moved to its new facility on Auburn Avenue. Most of the Formwalt Street entrance of the building was still standing after the fire, and a portion of the mural painted by Neighborhood Arts Center director John Riddle and other artists still remained. John Riddle, known for his paintings and sculptures, was educated in fine arts at the Los Angeles City College, the California State College at Los Angeles, and the California State University at Los Angeles. Before joining the Neighborhood Arts Center as director in 1976, he taught high school and worked as both a freelance artist and a veterans' counselor in Atlanta. He left the Neighborhood Arts Center in 1981 and became assistant director of the Atlanta Civic Center in 1984. He died in March 2002.
Title provided by Jim Alexander.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright held by Jim Alexander.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: After the fire. Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photograph : col. ; 24 x 31 cm.
- Original Collection:
- Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander Collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History