- Community Art in Atlanta, 1977-1987: Jim Alexander's Photographs of the Neighborhood Arts Center from the Auburn Avenue Research Library
- Tru and Ashanti
Tru and Ashante
- Alexander, Jim
- Date of Original:
- Community arts projects--Georgia--Atlanta
African American painters--Georgia--Atlanta
African American mural painting and decoration--20th century--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhood Arts Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- black-and-white photographs
- "Brothers Truman and Ashanti Johnson near one of their community murals."--Jim Alexander's annotations.
Neighborhood Arts Center artists-in-residence Truman and Ashante Johnson stand near one of their communiy murals. The Johnson brothers and Nathan Hoskins showed their work at the Neighborhood Arts Center in the "Spirits Return" exhibit, which opened January 25, 1978. Both Johnsons continued to work at the Neighborhood Art Center after the exhibit. The Neighborhood Arts Center was envisioned as a prototype organization whose working template would eventually be replicated in more neighborhoods around Atlanta. In order to achieve this intent, the center developed outreach stations at local schools. Ashante Johnson was in charge of art classes at the Challenge School for Boys, one of these outreach stations.
Title provided by Jim Alexander.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright held by Jim Alexander.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: Tru and Ashante. Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 31 x 23 cm.
- Original Collection:
- Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History