- Community Art in Atlanta, 1977-1987: Jim Alexander's Photographs of the Neighborhood Arts Center from the Auburn Avenue Research Library
- Alexander, Jim
- Date of Original:
- Community arts projects--Georgia--Atlanta
National Dance Company of Senegal--Performances--Georgia--Atlanta
African American mayors--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhood Arts Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
Religious dance, Modern--Senegal
Jackson, Maynard, 1933--Art patronage
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta Civic Center, 33.76816, -84.38104
- color photographs
- "Mayor Maynard Jackson who originally conceived the idea for the NAC thanks the Managing Director of the Senegalese Dance Company at a reception at the Atlanta Civic Center. The sold-out fundraising performance benefited the NAC."--from Jim Alexander's annotations.
Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson shakes hands with the managing director of the National Dance Company of Senegal during a reception at the Atlanta Civic Center on April 1, 1980. The renowned National Dance Company of Senegal was admired for its colorful and acrobatic ritual dancing in authentic costumes. The Neighborhood Arts Center sponsored the group's sold-out performance at the Civic Center. Proceeds of the event were to benefit the Neighborhood Arts Center, but due to poor planning, the center lost $1389.00 on the event. Maynard Jackson was elected Atlanta's first African American vice mayor in 1969 and served as its first African American mayor from 1973 until 1982. During his tenure, Jackson invented the Neighborhood Arts Center and was one of its greatest supporters. Jackson died in 2003.
Title provided by Jim Alexander.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright held by Jim Alexander.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: Thanks. Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photograph : col. ; 31 x 24 cm.
- Original Collection:
- Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History