- Community Art in Atlanta, 1977-1987: Jim Alexander's Photographs of the Neighborhood Arts Center from the Auburn Avenue Research Library
- Ribbon cutting
- Alexander, Jim
- Date of Original:
- Community arts projects--Georgia--Atlanta
African American artists--Georgia--Atlanta
African American art--20th century--Exhibitions--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhood Arts Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
Harambee Village (Atlanta, Ga.)
Riddle, John, 1933-
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- black-and-white photographs
- "Ribbon cutting for John Riddle's exhibit in a gallery at the Omni in Atlanta, GA."--from Jim Alexander's annotations.
Neighborhood Arts Center director and artist John Riddle (left), known for his paintings and sculptures, cuts a ribbon to signify the opening of his solo art exhibit in the Harambee Village at the Omni International Complex in November 1977. The Omni International Complex was designed as a multi-use space, but was purchased in 1986 by Turner Broadcasting Systems, which renamed it the CNN Center. John Riddle was educated in fine arts at the Los Angeles City College, the California State College at Los Angeles, and the California State University at Los Angeles. Before joining the Neighborhood Arts Center as director in 1976, he taught high school and worked as both a freelance artist and a veterans' counselor in Atlanta. He left the Neighborhood Arts Center in 1981 and became assistant director of the Atlanta Civic Center in 1984. He died in March 2002.
Title provided by Jim Alexander.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright held by Jim Alexander.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: Ribbon cutting. Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 31 x 23 cm.
- Original Collection:
- Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History