- Community Art in Atlanta, 1977-1987: Jim Alexander's Photographs of the Neighborhood Arts Center from the Auburn Avenue Research Library
- Neighborhood Arts Center photo workshop at Nexus
NAC photo workshop at Nexus
NAC photography workshop at Nexus
Neighborhood Arts Center photography workshop at Nexus
- Alexander, Jim
- Date of Original:
- Community arts projects--Georgia--Atlanta
African American photographers--Georgia--Atlanta
Photography--Study and teaching--Georgia--Atlanta
Offset printing--20th century--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhood Arts Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
Nexus Press (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- black-and-white photographs
- "Members of Jim Alexander's NAC Photographers Workshop on a field trip to Nexus Print Shop."--Jim Alexander's annotations.
Neighborhood Arts Center photography instructor Jim Alexander's students visit the Nexus Contemporary Art Center in Atlanta in 1980, at its old location, 608 Ralph McGill Blvd. NE. Director of the Nexus Press Michael Goodman (front right) demonstrates the Hamada Star offset lithographic press for the class. The Nexus Contemporary Art Center began in 1973 as a cooperative studio, gallery and publisher for local photographers. Eventually, the organization moved to its current location of 535 Means St. NW, Atlanta, Ga. The organization changed its name to the Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, but retained the Nexus Press name for its publications area, having established international recognition for its book arts residency program and experimental offset publications. Nexus Press' residency programs and production operations ceased in 2003. Jim Alexander worked at the Neighborhood Arts Center full-time as a photography teacher and resident artist from September 1977 until September 1979. After 1979, he continued to work with the Neighborhood Arts Center on a contractual basis until 1982, when he left to establish the Photo/Media Photography Collective, a studio and gallery complex in Atlanta.
Title provided by Jim Alexander.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright held by Jim Alexander.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: Neighborhood Arts Center photography workshop at Nexus. Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 31 x 23 cm.
- Original Collection:
- Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History