- Community Art in Atlanta, 1977-1987: Jim Alexander's Photographs of the Neighborhood Arts Center from the Auburn Avenue Research Library
- Alexander, Jim
- Date of Original:
- Community arts projects--Georgia--Atlanta
Black Arts movement
African American photographers--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhood Arts Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
National Conference of Artists (U.S.) (20th : 1978 : Atlanta, Ga.)
Alexander, Jim, --Self-portraits
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Mechanicsville, 33.739, -84.39854
- black-and-white photographs
- "Jim Alexander in his NAC studio preparing an exhibit for the National Conference of Artists visit."--Jim Alexander's annotations.
Neighborhood Arts Center photographer-in-residence Jim Alexander poses for a self-portrait while surrounded by framed and unframed prints of his photographs laid out in preparation for an exhibit at the National Conference of Artists' twentieth anniversary conference held at the Neighborhood Arts Center on March 23, 1978. Jim Alexander worked at the Neighborhood Arts Center full-time as a photography teacher and artist-in-residence from September 1977 until September 1979. After 1979, he continued to work with the Neighborhood Arts Center on a contractual basis until 1982, when he left to establish the Photo/Media Photography Collective, a studio and gallery complex in Atlanta. The National Conference of Artists shared the goal of supporting African American art and culture. During its twentieth anniversary conference, it also held workshops at the Neighborhood Arts Center in silkscreen, portfolios, audio-visual art, health hazards, and "Afro-Raku" ceramic firing.
Title provided by Jim Alexander.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright held by Jim Alexander.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: Self-portrait. Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 23 x 30 cm.
- Original Collection:
- Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History