- Community Art in Atlanta, 1977-1987: Jim Alexander's Photographs of the Neighborhood Arts Center from the Auburn Avenue Research Library
- Happy to be there
- Alexander, Jim
- Date of Original:
- Community arts projects--Georgia--Atlanta
Black Arts movement
African American painters--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhood Arts Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
National Conference of Artists (U.S.) (20th : 1978 : Atlanta, Ga.)
Stevens, Nelson L.
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Mechanicsville, 33.739, -84.39854
- black-and-white photographs
- "Painter/Muralist/Professor Nelson Stevens (left) and National Conference of Artists member at the NAC."--Jim Alexander's annotations.
Painter and art professor Nelson Stevens and a member of the National Conference of Artists enjoy themselves at the National Conference of Artists' twentieth anniversary conference at the Neighborhood Arts Center in Atlanta on March 23, 1978. Stevens' artwork is recognizable for bright colors and forms that appear solid but consist of unconnected pieces that seem to vibrate. He was a member of AFRICOBRA, a group whose mission was to make art accessible and acceptable to the African American community. The National Conference of Artists shared the goal of supporting African American art and culture. During its twentieth anniversary conference, it also held workshops at the Neighborhood Arts Center in silkscreen, portfolios, audio-visual art, health hazards, and "Afro-Raku" ceramic firing. Title provided by Jim Alexander.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Copyright held by Jim Alexander.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: Happy to be there. Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia.
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 31 x 23 cm.
- Original Collection:
- Neighborhood Arts Center photographs series. Jim Alexander collection. Archives Division, Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History, Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System.
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History