- Paine College Library Digital Collection
- 1971 Dr. Lucius Holsey Pitts, President
- Date of Original:
- African American universities and colleges
- United States, Georgia, Richmond County, Augusta, 33.47097, -81.97484
- Dr. Pitts Was The First African American, First Alumnus, And Nineth President To Serve At Paine College. As A C.M.E Minister And Theologian, Dr. Pitts Served As President Of Miles College Before Returning To Paine. He Is Credited As The Person Who Made Open Admissions Respectable. Dr. Pitts' Contributions In Education Are Equaled By His Contribution To Race Relations. He Served On The Human Relations Commission In Birmingham, Alabama; And Augusta, GA. Dr. Pitts Died On February 25, 1974, And Is Buried On The Paine College Campus Next To The Gilbert-Lambuth Memorial Chapel.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Physical rights of the images in this collection are retained by the Collins-Callaway Library, Special Collections/Archives of Paine College, or are protected by copyright. To order an item or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact the Library Director at 706-821-8361.
- Original Collection:
- Collins-Callaway Library/Special Collections and Archives
- Holding Institution:
- Paine College. Library