- Veterans History Project: Oral History Interviews
- Oral history interview of Nancy B. Brazell Brooks
- Kyle, Glen
Brooks, Nancy B. Brazell, 1930-
- Date of Original:
Carson, Nina Rusk Hosch, 1914-1992
United States. Army. General Hospital, 43rd
United States. Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944
- United States, Georgia, Atlanta Metropolitan Area, 33.8498, 84.4383
United States, Louisiana, Rapides Parish, Camp Livingston, 31.416973, -92.400298
Algeria, 28.033886, 1.659626
United States, Georgia, 32.75042, -83.50018
- video recordings (physical artifacts)
- In this interview, Nancy Brooks describes life in Atlanta during World War II. She describes her family's reaction to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Her uncle was a civilian contractor there and helped with the cleanup. He also worked with the army in Korea and Vietnam. Her family entertained and sometimes boarded servicemen who were either traveling or injured. She recalls rationing, including coping with baggy rayon hose, since there were no nylon hose available. She also describes public transportation, the black market and segregation during this time. She attended Auburn University because Georgia Tech was not co-educational at that time; she wanted to study architecture. She describes her father's "essential" occupation of refrigeration engineer, and how that allowed him more gasoline for his travels. She also describes the nursing career of her aunt, Diana Rusk, who went overseas as a maxillofacial surgical nurse for the troops. She speaks of the role of women and of patriotism during World War II.
Nancy Brooks was an Atlanta resident during World War II.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Original Collection:
- Veterans History Project oral history recordings
Veterans History Project collection, MSS 1010, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center