- Southline Press, Inc. Photographs
- High Museum of Art
- Southline Press, Inc. Photograph, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
Art museum architecture
High Museum of Art
Meier, Richard, 1934-
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Atlanta, Peachtree Street, 33.804803, -84.393633
- Architect Richard Meier (left) and High Museum of Art Director Gudmund Wigtell (right) discuss progress of the new building during its final weeks of construction. The High Museum of Art is scheduled to open to the public on October 15, 1983.
View of Richard Meier, Architect, and Gudmund Wigtell, Director, standing in front of the High Museum of Art
The Atlanta Art Association was founded in 1905. In 1926 the High family donated their home on Peachtree Street. In 1955 a separate building for the museum was built next to the High family home. In 1968 the Atlanta Memorial Arts Center was constructed around the existing museum in memory of the art patrons who died in the Orly plane crash in 1962. The Current building was constructed in 1983, and renovated and expanded in 2005. The High Museum of art is part of the Woodruff Arts Center.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 158.08.23
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 8 1/2 x 11 in. silver gelatin print
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center