- Southline Press, Inc. Photographs
- The Atlanta Prison Riots
- Southline Press, Inc. Photographs, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
United States Penitentiary (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- Cuban Riot
View of Cuban prisoners on the roof of the U.S. Penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia during a riot.
The Atlanta Prison Riots occurred at the U.S. Penitentiary in Atlanta in November 1987. The U.S. State Department had agreed to an accord that would permit the repatriate Cuban nationals, including those who had been convicted of a crime and were now in Federal prison. The uprising lasted 11 days, involved more than 100 hostages, and damaged a substantial portion of the facility.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 158.18.08
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 3 x 7 in. silver gelatin print
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center