Grant Park

Collection:
Sarah Slaughter Photographs, 1910-1920
Title:
Grant Park
Publisher:
Sara Slaughter Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, Georgia
Date of Original:
1920
Subject:
Parks--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Snow--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Winter--Georgia--Atlanta
Trees--Georgia--Atlanta
Trees in winter--Georgia--Atlanta
Benches--Georgia--Atlanta
Seating (Furniture)--Georgia--Atlanta
Footbridges--Georgia--Atlanta
Pedestrian areas--Georgia--Atlanta
Trails--Georgia--Atlanta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Grant Park, 33.73677, -84.37187
Medium:
black-and-white photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
View of benches along a path in Grant Park in Atlanta, Georgia.
Grant Park is the name of the oldest park in the city of Atlanta and for the surrounding neighborhood. The park was established in 1882 when engineer and businessman Lemuel P. Grant donated 100 acres of his land to the city of Atlanta. The city acquired an additional 44 acres in 1890. In 1889, the park became the site of a public zoo, and in 1892 the circular painting of the Battle of Atlanta was exhibited there. The painting known as the Atlanta Cyclorama would eventually gain its own dedicated building in the park in 1921.
Metadata URL:
http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/cdm/ref/collection/Slaughter/id/9
Rights Holder:
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Additional Rights Information:
Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
Extent:
5 x 9 in. sepia tone silver gelatin print
Holding Institution:
Atlanta History Center

Locations