- Berry O. Pyron photographs, 1968-1978
- Loew's Grand Theater Fire
- Pyron, Berry O.
- Berry O. Pyron Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA.
- Date of Original:
Motion picture theaters--Georgia--Atlanta
Theaters--Fires and fire prevention--Georgia--Atlanta
Motion picture theaters--Fires and fire prevention--Georgia--Atlanta
Construction and demolition debris--Georgia--Atlanta
Atlanta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
Loew's Grand Theater (Atlanta, Ga.)
Zebra Lounge (Atlanta, Ga.)
Cranes, derricks, etc.--Georgia--Atlanta
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, Peachtree Street, 33.798452, -84.3910732
- color transparencies
- View of the rear of Loew's Grand Theater on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia (previously known as the DeGive Opera House) and the building immediately behind it showing damage caused by a fire.
Loew's Grand Theater was built in 1893 as the DeGive Opera House. It came under the management of Marcus Loew's theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Grand was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's book Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendance in the 1960's led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 1 transparency : col. ; 35 mm.
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center