- Parker Lowell Photograph Collection, 1949
- Parker Lowell Photograph Collection, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, Georgia
- Date of Original:
- Temples--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Religious facilities--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Hebrew Benevolent Congregation (Atlanta, Ga.)
Architecture, Jewish--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Atlanta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- black-and-white photographs
- View of the exterior of the Temple on 1589 Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Temple-Hebrew Benevolent Congregation of Atlanta, Georgia, is Atlanta's oldest synagogue. In 1860 the Hebrew Benevolent Society was formed in order to obtain a Jewish burial ground, and to organize relief for the Jewish Poor. The Temple was established in 1867, and at that time was Orthodox. In 1895 Rabbi David Marx brought Reform Judaism to the Temple. In 1958 the synagogue was bombed in response to Rabbi Jacob Rothschild's support of civil rights. It is located at 1589 Peachtree Street.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 11 x 14 in. silver gelatin print
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center