- Joe McTyre Photograph Collection, 1889-1985, undated
- Ali, Muhammad
- McTyre, Joe
- Joe McTyre Photograph Collection, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
- Boxers (Sports)
Clothing and dress--1970-1980
Ali, Muhammad, 1942-2016
Clay, Cassius, 1942-
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- View of boxer Muhammad Ali (right) during a press conference in Atlanta, Georgia to promote his boxing match with challenger Jerry Quarry.
Muhammad Ali was a professional boxer who was crowned World Heavyweight Champion three times. He was originally born Cassius Clay, but changed his name to Muhammad Ali after he revealed his membership in the Nation of Islam. Ali was a conscientious objector during the Vietnam War and refused induction into the United States Army. He was subsequently stripped of his boxing license and was on a three year boxing hiatus between 1967 and 1970. His return match took place in Atlanta, Georgia in 1970. Ali retired from boxing in 1981.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 106.02.18
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 2 1/4 in. or smaller black and white negative
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center