- Cortlandt F. Luce, Jr. Photographs, 1948-1988, undated
- Oakland Cemetery
- Luce, Cortlandt F., Jr., 1907-1992
- Cortlandt F. Luce Jr. Photographs, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
Monuments and memorials--Georgia--Atlanta
Oakland Cemetery (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- View of Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia.
In 1850 the City of Atlanta purchased six acres of farmland for use as a public burial ground. In 1872 the burial grounds were named Oakland Cemetery, and had grown to encompass 88 acres. Most of this growth was to accommodate for the increased deaths during the Civil War as soldiers were moved from battle field graves. The cemetery is now run by the Historic Oakland Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the site as a historic landmark.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 114.44.01
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 35 mm color transparency
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center