- Cortlandt F. Luce, Jr. Photographs, 1948-1988, undated
- The Temple
- Luce, Cortlandt F., Jr., 1907-1992
- Cortlandt F. Luce Jr. Photographs, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
- Religious architectural elements--Georgia--Atlanta
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Atlanta, Peachtree Street, 33.804803, -84.393633
- View of the Temple on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Temple-Hebrew Benevolent Congregation of Atlanta, Georgia, is Atlanta's oldest synagogue. In 1860 the Hebrew Benevolent Society was formed in order to obtain a Jewish burial ground, and to organize relief for the Jewish Poor. The Temple was established in 1867, and at that time was Orthodox. In 1895 Rabbi David Marx brought Reform Judaism to the Temple. In 1958 the synagogue was bombed in response to Rabbi Jacob Rothschild's support of civil rights. It is located at 1589 Peachtree Street.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 114.63.01
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 35 mm color transparency
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center