- Robert D. Klein Photographs, circa 1920-1925
- Rich's Department Store
- Nash Engineering Company
- Robert D. Klein Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA.
- Date of Original:
- Rich's (Retail store)
Department stores--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Tall buildings--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Cities and towns--Georgia--Atlanta
Clocks and watches--Georgia--Atlanta
Stores, Retail--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Atlanta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
Atlanta Constitution Building (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, Marietta Street, 33.760312, -84.395055
United States, Georgia, Atlanta, Broad Street, 33.896647, -84.299475
- black-and-white photographs
- View of Rich's Department Store at the corner of Marietta Street and Broad Street in Atlanta, Georgia. The Atlanta Constitution building can be seen behind Rich's to the right.
Rich's Department Store was founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1867 by Morris Rich, a Hungarian-born immigrant. The business expanded over several decades, and eventually was located on the corner of Alabama and Broad Streets in downtown Atlanta. In the 1960's and 1970's the store opened in several other locations. In 1948 a seventy-foot live Christmas tree was first placed on the roof of Rich's downtown department store. Thereafter, the Lighting of the Great Tree became an Atlanta tradition. In 1960, several African American college students protested segregationist policies practiced by Rich's until the store agreed to desegregate its stores in 1961. Rich's department store was phased out in 2005.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 8 x 10 in. silver gelatin print
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center