- Joseph Brown photographs of downtown Atlanta
- Oakland Cemetery
- Brown, Joseph
- Joseph Brown photographs of downtown Atlanta, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
Monuments & memorials--Georgia--Atlanta
Oakland Cemetery (Atlanta, Ga.)
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- View of a shaft monument at Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia identified by the photographer as the Brown lot.
In 1850 the City of Atlanta purchased six acres of farmland for use as a public burial ground. In 1872 the burial grounds were named Oakland Cemetery, and had grown to encompass 88 acres. Most of this growth was to accommodate for the increased deaths during the Civil War as soldiers were moved from battle field graves. The cemetery is now run by the Historic Oakland Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the site as a historic landmark.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 214.07.02
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- 35 mm color transparency
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center