- Atlanta History Photograph Collection
- General Lucius J. Gartrell
- Photo Engraving Company (New York, N.Y.)
- Date of Original:
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- Portrait of General Lucius J. Gartrell, C. S. A.
Lucius Jeremiah Gartrell (1821-1891) was an attorney, Democratic politician and military officer. He practiced law in Washington, Georgia, in the early 1840s. He subsequently moved to Atlanta where he was elected solicitor general of the northern judicial circuit in 1843. He later served in the Georgia State House of Representatives from 1847 to 1850 and in the United States House of Representatives from 1857 to 1861. During the Civil War, he served as a colonel and later a brigadier general. He was also elected to the Confederate Congress.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 170.487.001
- Metadata URL:
- 5 x 7 in. copy of photo engraving
- Original Collection:
- Atlanta History Photograph Collection, Atlanta History Center
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center