- Atlanta History Photograph Collection
- Joseph. E. Brown
- Date of Original:
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- black-and-white photographs
- Portrait of former Georgia Governor Joseph in Brown, in Atlanta, Georgia.
Joseph Emerson Brown (1821-1894) was a prominent Georgia political leader and judge. Brown was born in South Carolina but was raised in the mountains of north Georgia. After attending Yale Law School he became a Georgia State Senator in 1849 and a judge in Superior Court in 1855. He served four terms as Georgia's Governor from 1857-1865. He served on the Georgia Supreme Court as Chief Justice from 1868-1870, and served in the United States Senate from 1880-1891. He was President of the Western and Atlantic Railroad from 1870-1890.
- Local Identifier:
- VIS 170.001.001
- Metadata URL:
- 11 x 16 in. albumen print
- Original Collection:
- Atlanta History Photograph Collection, Atlanta History Center
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center