Mitchell Street Residence

Collection:
Atlanta History Photograph Collection
Title:
Mitchell Street Residence
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Atlanta, Ga. : Kenan Research Center
Date of Original:
1850/1980
Subject:
Houses--Georgia--Atlanta
Boardinghouses--Georgia--Atlanta
Facades--Georgia--Atlanta
Automobiles--1930-1940
Rocking chairs
Angier, Needom--Homes & haunts--Georgia--Atlanta
Dabney, William Harris--Homes & haunts--Georgia--Atlanta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, Mitchell Street, 33.753881, -84.403468
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
View of the exterior of a residence on Mitchell Street, which had been originally built in the mid-19th century and expanded in 1890, on Capitol Square in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
Built prior to 1854 by William H. Dabney, the house at 55 Mitchell Street was purchased by Dr. Needom L. Angier in 1860, but not occupied by him until 1870. During the Civil War, General Slocum used the house as his headquarters during the Union Army's occupation of Atlanta. In 1887, the home was transformed into a boarding house by Charlotte C. Morrell. It was demolished in 1953.
Local Identifier:
VIS 170.1033.001
ahc1701033001.jpg
Metadata URL:
http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/cdm/ref/collection/athpc/id/493
Additional Rights Information:
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Extent:
7 x 9 in.
Original Collection:
Atlanta History Photograph Collection
Holding Institution:
Atlanta History Center
Rights:
Rights Statement information

Locations