Education

Collection:
Atlanta Lung Association Photograph Collection 1913-1972 (bulk 1945-1955)
Title:
Education
Publisher:
Atlanta Lung Association Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA
Date of Original:
1943
Subject:
Tuberculosis--Georgia--Atlanta
Communicable diseases--Georgia--Atlanta
Atlanta Lung Association
Nonprofit organizations--Georgia--Atlanta
Public health--Georgia--Atlanta
Tuberculosis--Prevention
Public health posters--Georgia--Atlanta
Health promotion--Georgia--Atlanta
Exhibit stands--Georgia--Atlanta
Radiography, Medical--Georgia--Atlanta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
gelatin silver prints
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
View of an Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis Association educational triptych sponsored by Adams-Cates Realty Company in Atlanta, Georgia.
Consumption (Disease); Posters;
The Atlanta Lung Association, (A.L.A.) was established in 1907 by the Fulton County Medical Society, and was first called the Fulton Sanitary and Tuberculosis Prevention Society. After several name changes, it finally evolved into the Atlanta Lung Association in 1973. The A.L.A. was among the first organizations in Atlanta to offer treatment of tuberculosis to those unable to obtain sanatorium care. Another such organization was the Home Treatment Dispensary, which was administered by private charities. In 1909 the two organizations merged and formed the Atlanta Anti Tuberculosis and Visiting Nurse Association and established their headquarters on the top floor of the Gould building on Decatur Street. Private donations, fund-raising and city and county funds sustained the Association which served both white and black patients. It emphasized health education, early detection, and provided clinic and home care for the indigent and was staffed with paid professionals and volunteers. Atlanta physicians donated medical support in the clinics. During its time in operation, the national death rate from tuberculosis declined dramatically. Success in treating the disease dictated a change in direction to that of general respiratory illnesses; therefore in 1973 the Association changed its name to the Atlanta Lung Association.
Metadata URL:
http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/cdm/ref/collection/ALung/id/19
Rights Holder:
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Additional Rights Information:
Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
Cite as: MSS 322, Atlanta Lung Association Records, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center
Extent:
1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.
Holding Institution:
Atlanta History Center

Locations