- Atlanta Lung Association Photograph Collection 1913-1972 (bulk 1945-1955)
- Chest X-rays
- Atlanta Lung Association Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA
- Date of Original:
- Atlanta Lung Association
Signs and signboards--Georgia--Atlanta
Atlanta--Buildings, structures, etc
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- gelatin silver prints
- View of children with a sign advertising free chest x-rays as part of a program administered by the Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis Association (later named Atlanta Lung Association) on Frasier Street in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Atlanta Lung Association, (A.L.A.) was established in 1907 by the Fulton County Medical Society, and was first called the Fulton Sanitary and Tuberculosis Prevention Society. Over the years, the organization changed names several times. From 1909 to 1933 it was called Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis and Visiting Nurse Association. From 1933 to 1951 it was called Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis Association. From 1951 to 1973 it was called Atlanta Tuberculosis Association. Finally, in 1973 the name changed to Atlanta Lung Association. The A.L.A. was among the first organizations in Atlanta to offer treatment of tuberculosis to those unable to obtain sanatorium care. Another such organization was the Home Treatment Dispensary, which was administered by private charities. In 1909 the two organizations merged and formed the Atlanta Anti Tuberculosis and Visiting Nurse Association and established their headquarters on the top floor of the Gould building on Decatur Street. Private donations, fund-raising and city and county funds sustained the Association which served both white and black patients. It emphasized health education, early detection, and provided clinic and home care for the indigent and was staffed with paid professionals and volunteers. Atlanta physicians donated medical support in the clinics. During its time in operation, the national death rate from tuberculosis declined dramatically. Success in treating the disease dictated a change in direction to that of general respiratory illnesses; therefore in 1973 the Association changed its name to the Atlanta Lung Association.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: MSS 322, Atlanta Lung Association Records, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center
- 1 photograph : sepia ; 2 x 3 in.
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center