State Guard at Techwood Homes

Collection:
Atlanta Housing Authority Photographs, 1940-1942
Title:
State Guard at Techwood Homes
Publisher:
Atlanta Housing Authority Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA
Date of Original:
1940
Subject:
Military uniforms
Atlanta Housing Authority
Public housing--Georgia--Atlanta
Men--Georgia--Atlanta
Apartment houses--Georgia--Atlanta
Civil defense--Georgia--Atlanta
Rifles--Georgia--Atlanta
World War, 1939-1945--Georgia--Atlanta
Techwood Homes (Atlanta, Ga.)
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
gelatin silver prints
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
View of a civil defense unit based at Techwood Homes in Atlanta, Georgia.
public housing; military formations; ww ii; world war ii
Techwood Homes was the first public housing project in the United States. It was dedicated by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1935, but not completed until 1936. Techwood Homes was initially provided public housing for white families only. It was operated by the Atlanta Housing Authority. Techwood Homes was demolished in 1996 to make way for Centennial Place during the 1996 Summer Olympics.
Metadata URL:
http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/cdm/ref/collection/AHA/id/46
Rights Holder:
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Extent:
1 photograph : b&w ; 4 x 5 in.
Holding Institution:
Atlanta History Center
Rights:

Locations