- Atlanta Housing Authority Photographs, 1940-1942
- John Hope Homes area
- Atlanta Housing Authority Photographs, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA
- Date of Original:
Atlanta Housing Authority
Signs and signboards--Georgia--Atlanta
Electric lines--Poles and towers
Overhead electric lines--Georgia--Atlanta
John Hope Homes (Atlanta, Ga.)
Hope, John, 1868-1936
Atlanta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, West End, 33.7406626, -84.4274282
United States, Georgia, Atlanta, Peters Street, 33.746046, -84.403272
- gelatin silver prints
- "Looking southwest on Peters Street. The upstairs of this building was loaded with negroes in each room and they were congested about like bees in a hive."
View of a store fronts on Peters Street in the West End neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia that had housed families in the upper floor before the construction of John Hope Homes.
street scenes; social conditions; substandard housing; public housing; streetcar; electric trolley
John Hope Homes was a public housing development built in 1940 in the West End area of Atlanta, Georgia next to University Homes. The units were built for African American residents.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 4 x 5 in.
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center