- Southeastern Native American Documents, 1730-1842
- [Letter] 1794 Aug. 1 to George Mathews, Governor [of Georgia], Augusta, [Georgia] / Augustus C. G. Elholm, Adjutant General
- Elholm, Augustus Christian George
- Date of Original:
- Cherokee Indians
Georgia. Militia--Pay, allowances, etc.
- United States, Georgia, 32.75042, -83.50018
- letters (correspondence)
- Georgia Adjutant General Augustus C. G. Elholm writes to Georgia Governor George Mathews (1787-1788, 1793-1796) on August 1, 1794. Elholm relates concerns expressed by Captain B. Easley about delays in pay due him and his troops. Easley also asked Elholm to convey to the governor that he was unable to promptly muster his troops on a particular day because some of his men were volunteers under Major Taylor and were expected to march into the Cherokee towns on the appointed day. Elholm further states that he will be traveling to Greene County (Georgia) to attend the regimental muster of Lieutenant Colonel William Melton. The enclosure mentioned is no longer attached.
Digital image and encoded transcription of an original manuscript, scanned, transcribed and encoded by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2001, as part of GALILEO, funded in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], Telamon Cuyler, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
- 3 pages/leaves
- Original Collection:
- Manuscript held by the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, Telamon Cuyler, box 05, folder 04, document 02.
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library
Office of Adjutant Genl [General]
August the 1st 1794.
In consequence of a Letter written by me to Capt B: Easley respecting those of his Pay-Rolls etc. Your Excellency told me not to deliver to the Pay-Master and which agreeable to your further [deleted text: in ] Direction in the Council Chamber I laid before you the
8th of May last on the Table
I have recieved [received] an Answer that expressed his great concern, and wherein he does request of me, humbly to state to your consideration, the hardship arising therefrom to himself, and his Dragoons -- with an observation that he was prevented his wished for promptness to muster his Troop on the day appointed, by this reason meerly [merely] ; - that part of his men were engaged Volunteers to go with Major Taylor to the Cherekee Towns on that day. --
The inclosed is recopied from a Copy of General Order issued by his Brigadier respecting the same. --
Lieut Col William Melton in Greene County has directed a Regimental Muster
On the 16th Instant and as he has requested my attendance on that day the same has become my wish, [deleted text: and ] [added text: therefore ] unless Genl [General] Orders from your Excellency directs me otherwise I shall proceed from Burk County to Greenesborough for that purpose
I have the honor to be with due Observance Your Obedient Adjt Genl [Adjutant General]
[Signed] Augustus C: Geo: [George] Elholm
His Excellency George Mathews Governor and Commander in Chief.
Report from the Adjt Genl [Adjutant General]
His Excellency George Mathews Governor and Commander in Chief Augusta
4 Augt [August] 1794